Governors at Heathfield and St Francis School
Welcome to the Governing Body of the Federation of Heathfield and St Francis Special Schools.
The Federation, which was formed on 28 March 2017, grew out of a desire to work closely with each other and to maximise the potential of sharing expertise, experience and resources to benefit pupils and staff in both schools. Regular opportunities for sharing INSET days and the cost of specialist staff/resources, etc. are also beneficial. Each school maintains its own identity and has its own DFE number and delegated budget.
The Governing Body, which is legally bound by agreed Statutory Responsibilities and Terms of Reference, is made up of 16 Governors drawn from staff, parents and members of the wider community. Details of current Governing Body Membership, Governors’ Pecuniary Interests and other information are available on request.
What do we do?
The key role of the Governing Body is to help the schools provide the best possible education for our pupils. We play a critical role in guiding, supporting and challenging the leaders of our schools.
Our three core functions are to:-
- ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- hold leaders to account for the educational performance of the school and pupils and the performance management of staff;
- oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent.
Governors are not involved in the day-to-day running of the schools, that is the responsibility of the Executive Headteacher and Senior Leaders in each school.
There are a number of policies and other documents which the Governing Body is required to hold by law and these can be found in the policy section of this website: Policies
How do we do it?
Our work is done through a series of meetings and visits to the school: Full Governing Body meetings are held each half-term.
- Committee meetings are held that underpin the Full Governing Body Meetings. These vary in regularity and focus on key elements of school life, i.e. Resource Allocation, Curriculum, Health and Safety. Governors participate in one or more of these meetings. participate in one or more
- Working groups are formed of 2 or 3 governors for particular short-term tasks.
- Governors visit when the schools are in session to monitor the educational work of the schools.
- Minutes are taken of all meetings; those of the Full Governing Body are available to read at the school office.
How do you know what we’re doing?
We will write to you at least annually to bring you up to date with what Governors have been doing and to look ahead to developments in the schools.
We encourage communication between the Governing Body and the parents and carers of our children and young people. Current Chair of the Governing Body is Chris Mouat; the Clerk to the Governors is Shelley Rees. Contact can be made by phone, letter or email to email@example.com
Could you be one of our Governors? Click here for more information.
If you would like to know more about governance, or are interested in joining the Governing Body we will be delighted to hear from you; please contact the Clerk to the Governors by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Governors are committed to providing the best possible experience for our children and young people and to maintaining good relationships with their parents and carers, and we look forward to meeting you in and around Heathfield and St Francis Schools.